February 12, 2018 Volume 26, Issue 9
Thank you to The Recycles Band! They played many songs for our students including music from Star Wars and Frozen, classics like "Over the Rainbow" and "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes", as well as new music like Pharrell's "Happy". The band consists of area musicians who are retired from careers that span from teachers to doctors, and former band directors.
Flu Shots Available to All
The flu has reached its worst level in decades. According to the CDC, the first - and most effective - line of defense against the flu is a flu shot. To protect our community against the flu, the Clay County School District and the Department of Health-Clay have teamed up with Healthy Schools.
As the flu season continues, we are bringing Healthy Schools back to offer all adults and children in Clay County a NO-COST Influenza (Flu) vaccine at three community clinics next week:
- Orange Park High School Monday, February 12 - 3-6pm
- Keystone Heights High School Thursday, February 15 - 3-6pm
- Department of Health-Clay (Green Cove Springs location) on Saturday, February 17 - 10am-2pm
You can also sign up on-site on the day of the clinic or download a paper form and bring it with you to the clinic. There is NO out-of-pocket expense for you. If you have any questions about the program, please contact Healthy Schools at 1-800-566-0596 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Media Center News
The media center is collecting paper towel tubes for our February Olympic stem activities- Luge runs! Please turn in your empty tubes to the media center by February 18.
We are holding a Children's Book Drive to celebrate Literacy Week. If you have any children’s books at your house that you no longer have any use for, please consider donating them to our book drive. Books will be placed in Paterson’s media center, classroom libraries and donated to organizations like the YMCA Prime Time, Quigley House and the Florida Youth Ranch.
We will be collecting preowned, donated books from January 22 – February 14 (Valentine’s Day).
Life is Why
Our school is proud to partner with the American Heart Association with Jump Rope For Heart. Over the next few weeks, our students will be having fun learning about their heart with the Scare Squad while raising money to help fund lifesaving research. Our school goal is to raise $10,000, and in addition to helping the American Heart Association, our school can earn free PE equipment. Students can earn their own Scare Squad Monsters this year by using our new mobile app (download the Jump/Hoops App (App Store for iPhone or Google Play for Android) or by visiting heart.org/jump to sign up and raise money online! Just for signing up to save lives, your students will earn a glow in the dark wristband! PLUS this year, the mobile app unlocks even more fun and the Scare Squad Monsters and wristband come to life! All donations are due by February 28 and our event day is February 21. Thank you for helping a great cause!
We want it to be YOURbook!
Order yearbooks, and Dedications or Business Ads online at Yearbook Order Center, with school code 10731. For more info, or to pay with cash/check, visit Yearbook Order Form .
We NEED your BEST PHOTOS! HOW TO SHARE-
* Email them to the Yearbook Adviser at email@example.com.
* From your phone you can use the Herff Jones eShare App. You will need to enter school code "paterson' (all lowercase). The app is great for 1-5 pictures.
* From your computer or phone's internet browser visit www.hjeshare.com and enter school code 10731, or the school name. This method is great when you have a lot of pictures.
Help Wanted: PFA Needs You!
Now accepting nominations for PFA Board & Committees 2018-19!
We are accepting nominations for the following positions-
• Assistant Coordinator
COMMITTEES- each usually consist of multiple people. Grab a friend and have fun helping students make memories!
• Fundraising- organize fundraising projects such as a Fun Run, Candy-Grams, etc.
• Newsletter/Communications- updating PFA Facebook page and the Manatee Marquee
• Student Events & Activities- movie nights, dances, or plan something new!
• Hospitality- teacher appreciation lunch, back to school faculty breakfast, etc.
• Rebates- hyping up Box Tops & Coke points
• Membership- logging in new PFA members
• Partners in Education- a business liaison to solicit school sponsorships and assist with Adopt a Class program
- Volunteer Coordinator- assist with organizing volunteers, sign-up sheets and the Volunteer Orientation
Without your help we can not have dances, carnival, ice cream social, movie nights and SO MUCH MORE! In addition to the fun stuff, PFA helps to fundraise for valuable items. In the past 7 years we have paid for new computers in the Technology Lab, updated all the playgrounds with new equipment and shade trees, yearly supply money for teachers and staff, 3-6th grade FSA test prep materials, and more! Please sign up to help out TODAY!
Email nominations (yourself or someone else) to RMPatersonPFA@gmail.com . Nominations should be received by March 5. We will be presenting nominations at the March PFA meeting on March 6, with elections taking place at April's meeting. Questions? RMPatersonPFA@gmail.com
14 CandyGram delivery
Book Drive ends
19 Holiday- no school
21 Jump Rope 4 Heart event
22 Chic-fil-A Spirit Night
23 3rd President Reports
27 6th Race Car projects
28 1st Field Trip
3 Track & Field Meet, 8:00 AM, MHS
5 Safety Patrol Meeting, 7:30 AM
6 2nd Field Trip
Art Club ends
FSA testing begins
PFA Meeting- 2018-19 nominations announced
9 end of 3rd grading period
1st- celebrates 120 days of school
12-16 SPRING BREAK
Mon- Bricks 4 Kidz,
Track & Field*
Tue- Chorus, Art Club
Wed- Track & Field*
Fri- Track & Field*
*double check Track & Field dates with schedule sent home by Coach Vann
Paterson's Calendar can be viewed online by clicking HERE.
To subscribe and add PES dates to your calendar simply click the +Google Calendaricon on the bottom right of the calendar
February's Breakfast & Lunch Menus can be viewed HERE.
Click to Like us on Facebook!
Sign up for NotificationsText @pes1718 to 81010, download the Remind app or visit remind.com/join/pes1718
- empty cereal boxes for Mrs. Knight to send to Haiti for jewelry making
- clip Tyson Project A+ labels from Tyson packages for the Art Program
- pop tabs from cans for Ronald McDonald House
- clip Box Tops from participating products for PES
- donate codes from Coca-Cola beverage products to PES at us.coca-cola.com/give/
Spirit Night: On Thursday, February 22 eat at the Fleming Island Chick-fil-A for dinner! Visit this location between 4:00 - 8:00 PM and mention Paterson Elementary at checkout! 10% of your total will be given back to the Paterson PFA.
Chick-fil-A at Eagle Harbor
1541 County Rd 220 Fleming Island, FL 32003
Hours Needed! We need your volunteer hours by the end of February so we can apply for the Golden School Award!
Anytime you have been issued a Volunteer badge by the Front Office, your hours were captured in the system. Those can be viewed online in your Virtual Volunteer portal. Hours spent working from home or after school (Run|Walk) need to be turned in to Kristen Morgan, firstname.lastname@example.org.